Wednesday, April 25, 2007

ANZAC DAY


ANZAC was the name given to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers who landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey early on the morning of 25 April 1915 during the First World War (1914-1918). (Ern's father was one of these soldiers)

As a result, one day in the year has involved the whole of Australia in solemn ceremonies of remembrance, gratitude and national pride for all our men and women who have fought and died in all wars. That day is ANZAC Day -- 25 April.
Ern went to the local Croydon RSL Dawn Service which started at 5.45am. At the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne they had a crowd of around 35,000. Each year the crowds increase and the number of veterans decrease .......

2 comments:

Heather said...

i love anzac cookies! i woulda made some if i had known! DRAT

Sue H said...

I took part in the march and service with the Dandenong RSL. That started at 1100 hours and I laid the wreath of behalf of my Lions club. I missed the dawn service as I was too busy celebrating my birthday the night before.